Information for same-sex couples who seek legal recognition of their relationship in a civil partnership, and for same-sex couples arranging a civil partnership ceremony.
Civil partnership conversion to civil marriage
From 29 March 2014, the law has allowed for marriage ceremonies for same sex couples. The law also allows for those couples in a civil partnership the option to convert this to a marriage if they choose.
See the conversion of a civil partnership to marriage page for more details.
Civil partnership registration
A civil partnership registration can take place in a registration office or other premises approved by the local authority.
We offer two kinds of ceremonies for civil partnerships - a simple registration of your partnership for a statutory fee, and an enhanced ceremony.
This ceremony is personalised and can feature readings and music. It is available at any time in our offices, although charges vary according to the day of the week and the size of the room used. See our registration service fees page for the cost.
The civil partnership ceremony
The civil partnership ceremony must be entirely non-religious and by law cannot contain any religious readings or music. Two witnesses, aged 16 or over, will be required to sign the legal record of civil partnership.
For more information, see our ceremony bookings terms and conditions [48kb]. Please also see these notes for photography at civil partnership ceremonies [191kb].
Civil partnerships - frequently asked questions
- What do I need to know about my booking?
- Can I obtain a certificate of my civil partnership registration?
- What if I am a foreign national who wishes to marry or register a civil partnership?
- Can I have my ceremony outdoors?
- What is the cheapest ceremony you do?
- What do I do if I want a passport in my new name because I am travelling abroad immediately after the ceremony?
- Conversion of a civil partnership to marriage
- What is the notice of marriage or civil partnership?
- My partner is terminally ill, can I have a ceremony?